The rise of streaming services has transformed the entertainment industry, providing users with easy access to a wide range of content. However, the industry faces legal challenges in balancing copyright and competition laws. This article provides an overview of the current copyright and competition landscape for streaming services, highlighting the legal issues that arise when copyrighted content is distributed without proper authorization, and exploring anti-competitive practices in the industry. The article also discusses successful strategies and best practices for streaming services in major jurisdictions, including obtaining licenses and authorizations, offering original and licensed content, providing low-cost subscriptions, and partnering with telecom operators. Ultimately, this article emphasizes the importance of complying with copyright and competition laws to promote fair competition and protect the rights of copyright holders.
- Ariyarathna, L. (2022). Streaming and copyright law: An end-user perspective. Taylor & Francis. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781032260938
- Atanasova, I. (2019). Copyright infringement in a digital environment. Economics & Law, 1(1), 13-22.
- Biddle v. The Walt Disney Co, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, No. 5:22-cv-07317; Fendelander v. The Walt Disney Co, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, No. 5:22-cv-07533.
- Bougette, P., Budzinski, O., & Marty, F. (2022). Self-preferencing and competitive damages: A focus on exploitative abuses. The Antitrust Bulletin, 67(2), 190-207. https://doi.org/10.1177/0003603X221082757
- C. Shanmugam & Ors. v. Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited & Ors. (15.06.2017 - CCI): MANU/CO/0042/2017
- Cohen, J. E., Loren, L. P., Okediji, R. L., & O’Rourke, M. A. (2019). Copyright in a global information economy. Aspen Publishing.
- Chapter XIII, The copyright act, 1957.
- Consumer Online Foundation v. Tata Sky Limited, 2011 SCCOnLine CCI 12:  CCI 11.
- Gardner, E. (2020). The Hollywood Reporter. The Hollywood Reporter. <https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/ business-news/big-data-hollywood-brewing-antitrust-battle-streaming- era-1265520/>
- Gorwa, R. (2019). The platform governance triangle: Conceptualising the informal regulation of online content. Internet Policy Review, 8(2), 1-22. https://doi.org/10.14763/2019.2.1407
- Hassan, H. E. R., Tahoun, M., & ElTaweel, G. S. (2020). A robust computational DRM framework for protecting multimedia content using AES and ECC. Alexandria Engineering Journal, 59(3), 1275-1286. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.aej.2020.02.020
- Haucap, J., & Stühmeier, T. (2016). Competition and antitrust in Internet markets. In Handbook on the Economics of the Internet. Edward Elgar Publishing. 183-210. https://doi.org/10.4337/9780857939852.00017
- Indus Business Journal. (2023). Apple breached antitrust law in Spotify case: European Commission - IndUS Business Journal. IndUS Business Journal. <https://indusbusinessjournal.com/2023/02/applebreached- antitrust-law-in-spotify-case-european-commission/>
- Kasper, A. (2022). A New Studio Era: How Netflix is Becoming a Threat to the Film Industry. (University Honors Theses).
- Kshitiz Arya & Ors. v. Google LLC & Ors (22.06.2021 - CCI): MANU/ CO/0035/2021.
- Loren, L. P. (2019). Copyright jumps the shark: The music modernization act. BUL Rev., 99, 2519.
- Mandrescu, D. (2021). Tying and bundling by online platforms– Distinguishing between lawful expansion strategies and anti-competitive practices. Computer Law & Security Review, 40, 105499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clsr.2020.105499
- Pakula, O. (2021). The streaming wars+: An analysis of anticompetitive business practices in streaming business. UCLA Ent. L. Rev., 28, 147. https://doi.org/10.5070/LR828153859
- Pickard, V. (2020). Restructuring democratic infrastructures: A policy approach to the journalism crisis. Digital Journalism, 8(6), 704-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/21670811.2020.1733433
- Quintais, J. P. (2020). The new copyright in the digital single market directive: A critical look. European Intellectual Property Review, 42(1), 28-41.
- Rakhmanova, A. (2022). The response of multinational entertainment and media companies to unforeseen crises and risks–a case study (Master's thesis).
- Rai, P. (2020). Copyright laws and digital piracy in music industries: The relevance of traditional copyright laws in the digital age and how music industries should cope with the ongoing piracy culture (Master's thesis, University of Agder).
- Riis, T., and Schovsbo, J. (2017). The borderless online user: carving up the market for online and streaming services. In Research Handbook on Copyright Law. Edward Elgar Publishing. 298-318. https://doi. org/10.4337/9781785361432.00017
- Shankar, R., & Ahmad, T. (2021). Information technology laws: Mapping the evolution and impact of social media regulation in India. DESIDOC Journal of Library & Information Technology, 41(4). 295-301. https://doi. org/10.14429/djlit.41.4.16966
- Star India Private Limited v. Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, 2018(14) SCALE 651.
- Super Cassettes Industries Limited v. Myspace Inc. & Anr. 2011(47) PTC 47 (Delhi).
- Together We Fight Society v. Apple Inc. and Ors. (31.12.2021 - CCI): MANU/ CO/0073/2021.
- UTV Software Communication Ltd.& Ors. v. 1337X. to & Ors., 2019 SCCOnLine (Del) 8002.
- Vishnu, S. (2023). Pervasive effect of competition law on copyright societies in India. Journal of Intellectual Property Rights, 28, 87-93. https://doi. org/10.56042/jipr.v28i2.592
- Vishnu, S. (2018). Understanding the concept of abuse of dominance in copyright. Kerala University Journal for Legal Studies. 208-220.
- Vishnu, S. (2020). Software interoperability and competition law. Journal of Intellectual Property Rights, 6(25). 180-5. https://doi.org/10.56042/ jipr.v25i6.35239
- Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. v. Moviesflix.Net & Ors MANU/ DE/3921/2022.
- Warrier, V.S. (2021). Competition law in India. Thomson Reuters. 2. XYZ (Confidential) and Ors. v. Alphabet Inc. and Ors. (25.10.2022 - CCI): MANU/CO/0091/2022.
- Zhu, Y. (2022). The digital broadcasting culture in transition. In Media Power and its Control in Contemporary China: The Digital Regulatory Regime, National Identity, and Global Communication. Springer Nature Singapore. 163-188. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBC.2022.3162406
- Zimmer, F., Fietkiewicz, K. J., & Stock, W. G. (2017). Law infringements in social live streaming services. In Human Aspects of Information Security, Privacy and Trust: 5th International Conference, HAS 2017, Held as Part of HCI International 2017, Vancouver, BC, Canada, July 9-14, 2017, Proceedings 5. Springer International Publishing. 567-85. https://doi. org/10.1007/978-3-319-58460-7_40