Data privacy has been receiving widespread attention. However, in some areas, dedicated laws are proving inadequate to deal with the impact of anti-competitive effects on the privacy of users. This requires a detailed discussion on the unilateral privacy policies imposed by data giants involving consent notices in the nature of “take it or leave it”. It further brings into question the role that competition law can play in examining abuse of dominance within firms, where users are being held captive and forced to share access to their data, given the status of the players in the market.
- Arthur, C. (2021) Tech giants may be huge, but nothing matches big data. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/ aug/23/tech-giants-data
- Balto, D.A., & Lane, M. (2016). Monopolizing water in a tsunami: Finding sensible antitrust rules for big data. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2753249
- Blankertz, A. (2020). How competition impacts data privacy. https://www. stiftung-nv.de/sites/default/files/how_competition_impacts_data_ privacy.pdf
- Buiten, M.C. (2019). Regulating data giants: Between competition law and data protection law. Springer International Publishing. https://doi. org/10.1007/978-3-030-11611-8_13
- Buiten, M.C. (2020). Exploitative abuses in digital markets: Between competition law and data protection law. Journal of Antitrust Enforcement, 9(2), 270–288. https://doi.org/10.1093/jaenfo/jnaa041
- Bundeskartellamt. (2019). Administrative proceedings decision under Section 32(1) German Competition Act (GWB). http:// www.bundeskartellamt.de/SharedDocs/Entscheidung/EN/ Entscheidungen/Missbrauchsaufsicht/2019/B6-22-16.pdf%3F__ blob%3DpublicationFile%26v%3D5
- Bundeskartellamt. (2019). Bundeskartellamt prohibits Facebook from combining user data from different sources. https://www.bundeskartellamt.de/ SharedDocs/Meldung/EN/Pressemitteilungen/2019/07_02_2019_ Facebook.html Bundeskartellamt v. Facebook Inc., Federal Court of Justice Decision KVR 69/19
- Bundeskartellamt. (2016). Bundeskartellamt initiates proceeding against Facebook on suspicion of having abused its market power by infringing data protection rules. https://www.bundeskartellamt.de/SharedDocs/ Meldung/EN/Pressemitteilungen/2016/02_03_2016_Facebook.html
- Competition Act, 2002, Act No. 12 of 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/ S1361-3723(02)00226-9 Competition Commission of India Case No. 15 of 2020
- Competition Commission of India Suo Moto Case No. 01 of 2021 Complaint under Article 77(1) GDPR. https://noyb.eu/sites/default/ files/2020-05/complaint-facebook.pdf
- EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR): Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016
- European Commission. (2017). Mergers: Commission fines Facebook €110 million for providing misleading information about WhatsApp takeover. https:// ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_17_1369
- Ezrachi, A. & Robertson, V. H.S.E. (2019). Competition, market power and third-party tracking. World Competition: Law and Economics Review, 42, 5–19. https://doi.org/10.54648/WOCO2019002
- Facebook/Bundeskartellamt. The decision of the higher regional court of Düsseldorf (Oberlandesgericht Düsseldorf) in interim proceedings (2019) Case VI-Kart 1/19 (V)
- Graef, I., Clifford, D. & Valcke, P. (2018). Fairness and enforcement: bridging competition, data protection, and consumer law. International Data Privacy Law. 8(3), 200–223. https://doi.org/10.1093/idpl/ipy013 Gupta V.K. & WhatsApp Inc., Case No. 99 of 2016
- Hoffmann, J. & Johannsen, G. (2019) EU-merger control & big data on data-specific theories of harm and remedies. Max Planck Institute for Innovation and Competition Research Paper Series.
- Hogben, G. (Ed.). (2007). Security issues and recommendations for online social networks. Enisa Position Paper No. 1.
- Kemp, K. (2020). Concealed data practices and competition law: Why privacy matters. European Competition Journal, 16(2–3), 628–672. https:// doi.org/10.1080/17441056.2020.1839228
- Kerber, W. & Zolna, K. K. (2021). The German Facebook case: The law and economics of the relationship between competition and data protection law. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/sites/laws/files/kerber_zolna_2021_ facebook_case_competition_law_data_protection_law_01.pdf
- Kimmel, L. & Kestenbaum, J. (2014). What’s up with WhatsApp: A transatlantic view on privacy and merger enforcement in digital markets. Antitrust, 29(1).
- Lee J. (2020). The Google-DoubleClick merger: Lessons from the Federal Trade Commission’s limitations on protecting privacy. Communication Law and Policy.
- Mal, A. & Parikh, J. (2011). Facebook and the right to privacy: Walking a tight rope. Nujs Law Review, 4, 299.
- Mehmood, A. (2016). Protection of big data privacy. IEEE Access, 4, 1821– 1834. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2558446
- Moshell, R. (2005). And then there was one: The outlook for a self-regulatory United States amidst a global trend towards comprehensive data protection framework. Texas Tech Law Review, 37, 357. Nederlandsche Banden Industrie Michelin v Commission, Case 322/81, ECLI:EU:C:1983:313
- Nissenbaum, H. (2010). Privacy in Context: Technology, Policy, and the Integrity of Social Life. Stanford University Press. https://doi. org/10.1515/9780804772891.
- Niu, E. (2016) European regulators are mad at Facebook and WhatsApp over sharing data. Business Insider. https://www.businessinsider. com/Facebook-Whatsapp-European-Regulators-Data-Sharing-2016- 12?Ir=T
- OECD. (2020). Abuse of dominance in digital markets. www.Oecd.Org/Daf/ Competition/Abuse-Of-Dominance-In-Digital-Markets-2020.Pdf Personal Data Protection Bill (2019) Bill No. 373 of 2019
- Puttaswamy, K.S. & Anr. v. Union of India & Ors. (2017). 10 SCC 1 Statement of FTC concerning Google/DoubleClick FTC File No. 071-0170. https://www.Ftc.Gov/System/Files/Documents/Public_ Statements/418081/071220googledc-Commstmt.Pdf
- Stojanovic, M. (2020). Can competition law protect consumers in cases of a dominant company breach of data protection rules. European Competition Journal, 16, 531–569. https://doi.org/10.1080/17441056.2 020.1824464
- Stucke, M. & Grunes, A. (2016). Big Data and Competition Policy. OUP. Valetti, T. (2019). Testimony of Tommaso Valetti, Ph.D. Professor of Economics Imperial College Business School, Imperial College London, before the House Judiciary Committee Subcommittee on Antitrust, Commercial, and Administrative Law on Online Platforms and Market Power Part 3: The Role of Data and Privacy in Competition Van den Bergh, R. & Weber, F. (2021). The German Facebook saga:
- Abuse of dominance or abuse of competition law? World Competition Law and Economics Review, 44(1), 29–52. https://doi.org/10.54648/ WOCO2021003
- Wasastjerna, M.C. (2019). The implications of big data and privacy on competition analysis in merger control and the controversial competition- data protection interface. European Business Law Review, 30(3), 337–365. https://doi.org/10.54648/EULR2019017
- WhatsApp and Facebook to share users’ data outside Europe and UK. (2021). BBC. https://www.Bbc.Com/News/Technology-55573149, Retrieved 15 November 2021
- WhatsApp. (2016). New features for more privacy, more protection, more control. https://blog.whatsapp.com/looking-ahead-for-whats-app, Retrieved 27th July 2022
- WhatsApp LLC v. Competition Commission of India & Anr, AIR 2021 (NOC 710) 281