The current wave of the industrial revolution has altered humankind in all ways possible. With evolution comes the possibility of conflict, especially when the intent is to eliminate competition rather than revolutionise the product or service delivery. One such conduct is predatory innovation, which involves an incumbent altering one or more technical elements of a product to limit or eliminate competition under the guise of innovation. Discourse on the topic suggests that the jurisprudence has not yet generalised the etiquette of predatory innovation, which resonates with the challenges encountered by antitrust practitioners while assessing such conduct. Thus, in this paper, we aim to examine conduct that is construed as predatory innovation, given its increasing relevance and undiscovered potential harm. We present economic literature that discusses different types of predatory innovation and describe economic tests that are equipped to assess anti-competitive harm. Subsequently, we conduct an in-depth review of select cases that exhibit predatory innovation. We conclude by suggesting a way forward for competition assessment of predatory innovation.
- Acuna-Quiroga, C. (2001). Predatory innovation: A step beyond? (Understanding competition in high-technology markets). International Review of Law, Computers and Technology, 15(1), 7–34.
- Allied Orthopedic v. Tyco Health Care Group (2010), 592 F.3d at 1000.
- Asker, J., & Seitz, S. (2013). Vertical practices and the exclusion of rivals post Eaton. Antitrust Chronicle, 7. Berkey Photo v. Eastman Kodak, 603 (F.2d 263 2d Cir. 1979).
- Bork, R. (1978). The Antitrust Paradox. Basic Books.
- BRICS Competition Law and Policy Centre. (2019). Digital era competition: A BRICS view.
- Brodley, J. F. (1987). The economic goals of antitrust: Efficiency, consumer welfare, and technological progress. N.Y.U.L. REV., 1020, 1042.
- Bundeskartellamt. (2017). Innovations – Challenges for competition law practice. https://www.bundeskartellamt.de/SharedDocs/Publikation/ EN/Schriftenreihe_Digitales_II.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=3
- Caldera, Inc. v. Microsoft Corp (D. Utah 1999). California Computer Products Inc. v. IBM, 613 F.2d 727, 743-744 (9th Cir 1979).
- Camera Dei Deputati. (2017). N. 4792. https://documenti.camera.it/_ dati/leg17/lavori/stampati/pdf/17PDL0060920.pdf
- Case nos. 7 of 2020; 14 of 2021; 35 of 2021 (Competition Commission of India 2020, 2021).
- Cisco Systems Inc. and Messagenet SpA, Case T-79/12 (Gen. Court [Fourth Chamber] December 11, 2013).
- Competition and Markets Authority. (2019). Online Platforms and Digital Advertising: Market Study Interim Report.
- Competition Act, 2002. https://www.cci.gov.in/images/legalframeworkact/ en/the-competition-act-20021652103427.pdf Decision 20-D-04 (Autorite de la Concurrence March 16, 2020).
- Dranove, D., & Gandal, N. (2000). The DVD vs. DIVX Standard War: Empirical Evidence of Vaporware. University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Durand, B. (2005). A three-step structured rule of reason to assess predation under Article 82 [Discussion paper]. DG Competition, European Commission, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Elzinga, K. G. (2014). Antitrust predation and the antitrust paradox. The Journal of Law and Economics, 57(S3), S181–S200.
- EUR-LEX. (2020). Proposal for a regulation of the European parliament and of the council on contestable and fair markets in the digital sector (Digital Markets Act). https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri= COM%3A2020%3A842%3AFIN
- European Commission. (n.d.). Competition law treaty provisions for antitrust and cartels. https://competition-policy.ec.europa.eu/antitrust/legislation/ competition-law-treaty-articles_en
- European Commission. (2020a). Speech by EVP Margrethe Vestager at the
- EU Council’s High-level Presidency Conderence: “A Europe of Rights and Values in the Digital Decade.” https://ec.europa.eu/commission/commissioners/ node/489945_mt
- European Commission. (2020b). Speech by Executive Vice-President Margrethe Vestager: Building trust in technology. https://ec.europa.eu/ commission/commissioners/2019-2024/vestager/announcements/ speech-executive-vice-president-margrethe-vestager-building-trusttechnology_ en
- Gerardin, D. (2020). The EU Digital Markets Act in ten points. Platform Law Blog. https://theplatformlaw.blog/2020/12/16/the-eu-digital-markets- act-in-10-points
- Gilbert, R. (2007). Holding innovation to an antitrust standard. Competition Policy International, 3.
- Grimm, K. L. (2008). General standards for exclusionary conduct. US FTC. Hovenkamp, H. (2010). Intellectual Property and Antitrust: An Analysis of Antitrust Principles Applied to Intellectual Property Law.
- Jacobson, J., Scott , S., & Holman, E. (2010). Predatory innovation: An analysis of Allied Orthopedic v. Tyco in the context of Section 2 jurisprudence. Loy. Consumer L. Rev.
- Leventis, A., & Appelrouth, M. (2001). Are Section 2 claims more than mere apparitions? The legal viability of Vaporware claims. Antitrust, Spring, 82.
- Matrimony.com Ltd. v. Google LLC, 7 and 30 (Competition Commission of India 2018).
- Montagnani, M. (2006). Predatory and exclusionary innovation: Which legal standard in the context of the competition versus intellectual property rights clash? International Review of industry property and copyright law, 304–335.
- Netscribes Industry Reports. (2021). Healthcare Analytics Market in India 2021 Part II.
- New Second Circuit decision addresses antitrust limits on innovation and related marketing activity. (2015). Antitrust Watch. https://blogs.orrick.com/ antitrust/2015/06/19/product-hopping-new-second-circuit-decision- addresses-antitrust-limits-on-innovation-and-related-marketing- a
- Ordover, J., & Willig, R. (1981). An economic definition of predation: Pricing and product innovation. Yale Law Journal, 91(1), 8–53.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development [OECD]. (2005). Competition on the merits. https://www.oecd.org/competition/ abuse/35911017.pdf
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development [OECD]. (2006). What is competition on its merits? https://www.oecd.org/competition/ mergers/37082099.pdf
- Proposition De Loi, Doc 54 3246/001. (2018). La Chambre. https://www. lachambre.be/flwb/pdf/54/3246/54K3246001.pdf
- Schrepel, T. (2018). Predatory innovation: The definite need for legal recognition. SMU Sci. & Tech. L. Rev., 21–72.
- Schrepel, T. (2017a). Predatory innovation: A response to Suzanne Van Arsdale & Cody Venzke. Jolt Digest. http://jolt.law.harvard.edu/digest/digestnote- predatory-innovation
- Schrepel, T. (2017b). The enhanced no economic sense test: Experimenting with predatory innovation. NYU Journal Intell, Prop. & Ent. L., 7(30).
- Schwab, K. (2016). The fourth industrial revolution: What it means, how to respond. World Economic Forum. https://www.weforum.org/ agenda/2016/01/the-fourth-industrial-revolution-what-it-meansand- how-to-respond/
- Sidak, J. (1983). Debunking predatory innovation. Columbia Law Review, 83(5), 1121–1149.
- Stucke, M. (2010). How do (and should) competition authorities treat a dominant firm’s deception. SMU Law Review, 63(3). https://scholar. smu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1273&context=smulr
- Sullivan, L. A. (1977). Handbook of the Law of Antitrust. Transamerica Computer Company Inc. v. IBM, 698 F.2d 1377, 1382 (9th Cir. 1983).
- Umar Javeed v. Google LLC, 39 ( Competition Commission of India 2018). United Food & Commercial Workers Local 1776 v. Takeda Pharmaceutical Co., No. 20-1994 (2d Cir. 2021).
- United States v. Microsoft Corp., 253 F.3d 34, 92 (D.C. Cir. 2001).
- United States Department of Justice. (n.d.). Memorandum of the United States of America in response to the court’s inquiries concerning Vaporware: US v Microsoft Corporation. https://www.justice.gov/atr/ memorandum-united-states-america-response-courts-inquiries-concerning- vaporware-us-v-microsoft
- United States Department of Justice Archives. (n.d.). Competition and monopoly: Single-firm conduct under Section 2 of the Sherman Act: Chapter 1. https://www.justice.gov/archives/atr/competition-andmonopoly- single-firm-conduct-under-section-2-sherman-act-chapter- 1#:~:text=Section%202%20of%20the%20Sherman%20Act%20 makes%20it%20unlawful%20for,foreign%20nations%20.%20.%20 .%20.%22