The emergence of data as an asset for firms in the digital era has raised several issues before competition enforcement authorities. This research article focuses on the role of data in platform markets. After discussing the significance and importance of data in the multi-sided markets and its procurement by platforms for their competitive advantage in the market, the authors point out the issues of network effects, economies of scale, positive feedback loop, etc., and how they create an entry barrier, ultimately harming competition in the market. The authors have also discussed the concerns relating to the definition of the relevant market in platform economies and the Competition Commission of India’s (CCI) take on online and brick-and-mortar markets, tools used for defining relevant market, and how they are not very effective in this market. The final leg of the article discusses the impact of the data market on creating datapolies by amassing huge amounts of data and creating monopolies, making it tough for other players to survive or for new players to enter the market. The paper discusses the role of CCI, the European Commission, and other jurisdictions in tackling such situations, and the landmark judgements passed by them regarding these datapolies sums up authorities’ stand on tackling issues in the market mostly governed by data.
- Agarwal, M. (2019). Competition Commission of India strikes another blow to Google for abuse of dominant position. Kluwer Competition Law Blog.
- Asay, M., & Reilly, T. O. (2010). ‘Whole web’ is the OS of the future. CNET. https://www.cnet.com/news/tim-oreilly-whole-web-is-the-os-ofthefuture/
- Asher, V. (2019). Market share of mobile operating systems in India from 2012 to 2019. Statista. https://www.statista.com/statistics/262157/marketshareheld-by-mobile-operating-systems-in-india/
- Auer, D., & Petit, N. (2015). Two-sided markets and the challenge of turning economic theory into antitrust policy. The Antitrust Bulletin, 60(4), 426–461.
- Bose, M. (2017). Who will bell the apps? MONDAQ. http://www.mondaq.com/india/antitrust-eu-competition-/610112/who-will-bell-the-apps
- Chandola, B. (2018). Supreme Court of India upholds investigation against Uber. Kluwer Competition Law Blog. http://competitionlawblog.kluwercompetitionlaw.com/2019/09/18/supreme-court-of-indiaupholdsinvestigation-against-uber/
- Charles, A. (2013). Tech giants may be huge, but nothing matches big data. The Guardian.
- Cremer, J., de Montjoye, Y. A., & Schweitzer, H. (2019). Competition policy for the digital era. European Commission.
- Deo, S. P., & Verma, T., (2018). Fintech and competition law concerns. Lex Witness, 9(9).
- Dogan, C. (2019). Challenges associated with the market definition process on e-commerce platforms: Why bother with a market definition? SSRN Electronic Journal. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3612664
- Evans, D. S. (2008). Competition and regulatory policy for multi-sided platforms with applications to the web economy. Concurrences, 57–62. http://ssrn.com/abstract=1090368
- Ezrachi, A., & Stucke, M. E. (2016). Virtual competition: The promise and perils of the algorithm-driven economy. Harvard University Press.
- Filistrucchi, L., Geradin, D., & Damme, Van, E. (2013). Identifying twosided markets. World Competition, 33, 37–39.
- Goldfarb, A., & Tucker, C. (2012). Privacy and innovation. Innovation Policy and the Economy, 12, 65–90. https://doi.org/10.1086/663156
- Graef, I., (2020). Market definition and market power in data: The case of online platforms. World Competition, 473–506.
- Grunes, A. P., & Stucke, M. E. (2015). No mistake about it: The important role of antitrust in the era of big data. Antitrust Source, 1–14. Karmanya Singh Sareen and Other v. Union of India [WP (C) 7663/2016].
- Kaushik, A. (2019). India’s dilemma in negotiating rules on e-commerce in the WTO. Journal of World Trade, 53(6).
- Körber, T. (2016). Is knowledge (market) power? On the relationship between data protection, “data power” and competition law. Social Science Research Network.
- Mandrescu, D. (2017). Applying EU competition law to online platforms: The road ahead - Part 1. European Competition Law Review, 38(8), 353– 365.
- Matrimony.com Limited & Ors. v Google LLC & Ors. and Consumer Unity Trust Society v Google LLC & Ors; (Case Nos. 07 and 30 of 2012)
- Mehta, U. S., & Kumar, U. (2020). Competition and regulation in India. CUTS.
- Meru Travels Solutions Private Limited v Competition Commission of India, Appeal No. 31 of 2016.
- Mohindroo, A., & Mohindroo, R., (2018). Digital economy & competition law: A conundrum. Indian Competition Law Review.
- Parakkal, R. (2019). Antitrust in the digital era: Rethinking dominance and its abuse. Competition and Regulation in India, 28–56.
- Parsheera, S., Shah, A., & Bose, A. (2017). Competition issues in India’s online economy. National Institute of Public Finance and Policy. http://nipfp.org.in/publications/working-papers/1786/
- Roy, A. (2020). Competition law in digital world: Understanding the frontiers. Sunday Guardian. https://www.sundayguardianlive.com/legallyspeaking/competition-law-digital-world-understanding-frontiers
- Scott, M. (2017). Google fined record $2.7 billion in E.U. antitrust ruling. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/technology/eu-google-fine.html
- Shapiro, C., & Varian, H. R. (1999). Information rules: A strategic guide to the network economy. Harvard Business School Press.
- Sharma, N. (2020). India’s draft e-commerce policy promises more government oversight, tougher rule. Bloomberg Quint. https://www.bloombergquint.com/law-and-policy/india-mulls-legislation-toensurefair-competition-data-security-in-draft-e-commerce-policy
- Smith, E. (2018). The techlash against Amazon, Facebook, and Google and what they can do. The Economist.
- Stucke, Maurice E. (2018). Should we be concerned about data-opolies? Georgetown Law Technology Review, University of Tennessee Legal Studies Research. https://ssrn.com/abstract=3144045
- Surblyte, G. (2015). Competition law at the crossroads in the digital economy: Is it all about Google? EuCML, 4(5), 170–178.
- Toole, K.O., & Athey, S., (2013). How big data changes business management. Stanford Business. https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insights/susanathey-how-big-data-changes-business-management
- Tucker, D. S., & Wellford, H. B. (2014). Big mistakes regarding big data. Antitrust Source.
- Vicente, B. (2016). The big data relevant market. Concorrenza e Mercato. https://ssrn.com/abstract=3064792
- Whish, R., & Bailey, D. (2018). Competition law. Oxford University Press. Graef, I., (2020). Market definition and market power in data: The case of online platforms. World Competition, 473–506.